Monday, August 6, 2007

Going back to diapers!

So I've given up on the potty training. It was so easy for him to get the whole routine down, and he has great control- if he uses it! But he either doesn't care that he has accidents or he just can't interpret his body's signals.

On Saturday Luke still had never told me he needed to go. When he did have accidents, he just stood there and watched himself pee and said "uh-oh." Since I'd have to put him in a pull-up for church and small group on Sunday I decided to just give it up.

Then, 10 minutes after I put him to bed on Saturday night I heard him yell, "Uh oh, Mommy! I go potty in my pull up! I need to go potty in the toilet!"

BREAKTHROUGH!!! Right?

No.

We skipped church and small group to take advantage of our breakthrough, but not only did he not initiate going all day Sunday, he also became really resistant to going when I prompted him to.

At least, until bedtime.

Then he was all about getting out of bed to use the toilet.

The little stinker.

So right now he is in his last pull up and he doesn't care. He hasn't asked about the toilet at all. He's patted himself and told me he was dry a few times. But he wasn't. He just can't feel the wetness in the pull up.

*sigh*

I'd really like him out of diapers so that he can go into a gymnastics or "Little Tiger" karate class by himself when he is 3. I feel like he is missing out on so much being the middle child. But I just don't have it in me to force him to go potty every half hour or so for an undetermined amount of time, you know?

9 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Potty training...makes me wish I was Samantha from Bewitched...a little nose wriggle, and Voila! It would all be done :)

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I think I tried this (um, yea, it's a bit blurry, those days!): LilBro wore a pair of cotton undies under a pull-up---I know, plastic pants do it just as well, but I liked the pull-up for nighttime and wanted consistency. He felt the wetness and I didn't have a mess if we were out in public. It's worth a try. ? :-)

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Again, no "been there done that" advice from me . . . just know that I think you are doing the right thing by not pushing it.

Ange K said...

I've been following Luke's training story because I started Elijah at the same time. I had to quit temporarily too because he's got some sort of stomach bug that makes for messy and no-warning bowel movements. Nice. The good news is that he keeps insisting that his tummy is all better because he really wants to get back to his underwear and toilet time. We'll see.....

Forgetfulone said...

IMHO, most kids have a set-back, or even 2. I don't know if it's an independence issue (I'll do it when I'm ready) or a security issue (I'm not sure I'm ready.) Either way, they have them.

I like cmommy's idea with the cotton pants under the pullup so he will feel it and start to care that he's wet. My son was the same way, but by age 3, he was ready because he decided to be ready. It'll work out!

Unknown said...

He totally knows what to do. I think in their little minds it's a control game. He knows what to do so let him decide on his own time . . . and believe me, he will tell you! I hope for you that he makes this decision "on his own" very soon! Good luck!!!

Llama Momma said...

We did this with the twins...twice. I'm happy to report that they are now five, and use the toilet independently without even announcing it.

It will be okay.

Michelle said...

I remember from our potty training days that they make pull ups that help the kids feel the wetness. Dont know if it will help.

Candice said...

I am too trying to get my daughter potty trained. We have done the rewards and they really worked, but I don't think that I should have to reward her every time she potty's for the rest of her life. That's crazy isn't it.

We used the pullups but like your child she either didn't care that she was wet or didn't realize it. It is the same way with panties. I have decided that instead of waiting for her to tell me when she needs to potty, I just bring her every 30 or so. It seems to have been working for this week at least.

Well you seem to be a lot like me with the whole coffee addiction thing. I love starbucks, forever!!! Anyway, love reading your posts.